By Margot Malin, Founder and CEO of Lots To Live For, Inc.
What you put on your body matters – especially when you are undergoing cancer treatment. Oncology patients often have unique needs when it comes to personal care products for the skin, hair and body. Many people don’t read the labels on personal care products, and even if they do, they are hard to decipher because many items on the ingredient list have unrecognizable chemical names. While general skin care is an important topic, this article focuses specifically on underarm care.
Unhealthy Ingredients in Mass Market Deodorants
What you put on your skin matters. Your skin is your body’s largest organ. It absorbs the materials that you put on it, they circulate inside your body, and can reach internal organs. For more information refer to the Environmental Working Group (EWG) and WebMD. The following disturbing facts about chemicals found in most mass market deodorants may influence your decision about the deodorant you use and encourage you to read ingredient labels:
- Aluminum – clogs and blocks pores and can cause other issues. Important for cancer patients: aluminum can interfere with radiation therapy.
- Phtalates – work as softeners in personal care products, and plastics. They are known to disrupt the bodies hormones. They are considered to be endocrine disruptors because of their complex effects on several hormonal systems including the estrogen and androgen hormone systems.
- Propylene glycol – is used in personal care products, and also antifreeze. It is known as an endocrine disruptor. According to the Environmental Working Group (EWG) there is a benign risk of catching certain allergies and some toxic materials for the immune system
- Formaldehyde – a commonly used chemical compound that exists in various forms and at room temperature, is a colorless, distinctive, strong and even pungent smelling, flammable and gaseous substance. It is certainly a questionable ingredient for personal care products
- Parabens – they are used as preservatives, and studies show the may damage hormones and negatively impact the immune system.
According to a 2012 Huffington Post article: “What we put on our skin is just as important as what we put in our body; both affect the well-being of our entire body (skin included!). The next time you slather on that chemical laden lotion or soak in a toxic tub, remember that your skin absorbs a large percentage of what you put on it.”
We would like to introduce you to a new product for controlling odor and sweat under your arms: PiperWai All Natural Deodorant.
As the first creme deodorant that contains super-absorbent activated charcoal, PiperWai rubs in clear and won’t discolor your clothes. You apply it with your fingers – this deodorant’s skin-conditioning qualities also make it great for your hands.
No Parabens, No Harsh Ingredients. And, especially important for individuals undergoing radiation therapy to the breast or other areas of the body: NO ALUMINUM
It Absorbs Moisture
Natural deodorant generally gets a bad reputation for letting you sweat, even if it neutralizes odor at the same time. However, the ingredients in PiperWai – like activated charcoal, which can absorb 1,000x its own weight in moisture – form an invisible absorbent shield between your skin and your shirt, and protect it from wet stains. It does not plug up your apocrine sweat glands the way an antiperspirant does!
It’s Gentle On Sensitive Skin
Crafted with skin-conditioning ingredients like organic coconut oil, shea butter, cocoa butter, and pure vitamin E oil, PiperWai is great for people with sensitive skin. It’s perfect for individuals with chemical sensitivities, or skin conditions like psoriasis or eczema. PiperWai is particularly helpful for individuals with skin compromised by chemotherapy and/or radiation.
It Smells Fresh
A proprietary blend of 11 therapeutic-grade essential oils gives PiperWai its signature gender-neutral fresh scent. And, in addition to smelling great, these essential oils are believed to have specific anti-microbial properties that work with the other ingredients to keep you smelling fresh.
Customers Love PiperWai
PiperWai, founded by two female entrepreneurs, was recently featured on Shark Tank® and was the third fastest product that aired on the show to reach $1 million in sales. Customer reviews, as seen on the PiperWai Facebook page are fantastic.
Featured Photo Source: NourishMyDirt
- Comfort During Cancer – Radiation Burn Relief – Lots To Live For Cancer Side Effect Solutions
- Products to Reduce Chemotherapy Side Effects and Improve Comfort and Quality of Life
- Great Chemotherapy Gift Ideas And How To Create Your Own Chemo Goody Bag
- Tips to Control Chemotherapy Nausea and Vomiting (CINV)
- Cancer Pre-Treatment Check List – 6 Tips To Make Your Life Easier Once You Begin Treatments
- 22 Questions to Ask Your Oncology Team About Your Cancer Treatment Protocol
- 7 Tips for Preparing for Chemotherapy and Radiation
- Tips For Oral Health While Undergoing Chemotherapy and Radiation
- Books to Help Cancer Patients: Empower Yourself by Becoming Your Own Medical Advocate
- Comfort Slings Help Relieve Soreness and Abrasion Beneath the Breasts
About Margot Malin: Intellectually curious and fiercely independent, Margot Malin has a passion for knowledge. After receiving her MBA from The Wharton School, she launched her career by analyzing and evaluating businesses. In 2002 she embarked on the “creative reinvention” phase of her career with the intention of “giving back”. Margot founded Lots To Live For, Inc., an internet retailer that sells carefully selected products to reduce and relieve the uncomfortable and unpleasant side effects caused by chemotherapy and radiation.