Breast Cancer Yoga 16 hour Training Intensive at A Jewel in the Lotus/Islip, New York December 2-4, 2016.
Do you want to be able to support this special cancer community with the best and safest yoga classes? What your students can or cannot do will make all the difference in their ability to make a speedy and meaningful recovery. Breast Cancer Yoga at a A Jewel in the Lotus is offering a 16 hour certification training to ensure that you feel confident in your teachings to keep everyone safe, happy and connected to the process of healing.
Breast Cancer Yoga is a family owned and run company that focuses on the healing and well-being of women in breast cancer recovery. Diana Ross, who was a survivor herself, had committed her restorative yoga flow practice to assist in the comfortable and safe transition to wellness through supported poses. The poses are supported by props so that each pose offers safety first and then provides the opportunity to let go of the ongoing tensions and tightness related to the cancer itself, or the treatments (chemotherapy, radiation and surgery.)
This program is designed to offer therapeutic applications to each teacher, student or provider with the safe knowledge based on the person’s stage of cancer, level of physical capability and specific breast reconstruction considerations, pain level, emotional status, cancer-related fatigue, treatment stage, type of surgery, and other risk considerations such as lymphedema. There will be an explanation of any special exercise requirements and precautions according to the type of treatment received.
How To Use and Understand Teacher Training Manual
What is included:
1. The Complete Comprehensive Breast Cancer Yoga Teacher Training Handbook from “START TO FINISH” that covers the following –
- What is Breast Cancer?
- Statistics for Breast Cancer
- Types of Breast Cancer
- Anatomy of the Breast
- Lymphatic System
- Signs and Symptoms
- Stages of Breast Cancer
- Types of Reconstructive Surgery
- Types of Surgery/Treatments
- Drug Treatment & Side Effects
- Breast Cancer Symptoms
- Pain Management and Breathing Benefits
- Physiology of Stress and Chemical Changes in the Body
- Alignment with Proper Prop Usage
- Breathing Exercise/Pranayama
- Restorative Yoga Recovery Classes
- Relaxation Techniques
2. The newly published book by Diana Ross, Restorative Yoga For Breast Cancer Recovery: Gentle Flowing Yoga For Breast Health, Breast Cancer Related Fatigue & Lymphedema Management. It is a unique restorative yoga therapy book with 277 colorful illustrations, benefits and clear directions. This book outlines a variety of easy to learn restorative yoga poses which can emotionally and physically improve the recovery process from breast cancer surgeries, radiation and chemotherapy treatments. It is also invaluable in maintaining breast health, reducing cancer related fatigue (CRF), and managing lymphedema.
3. Breathing CD entitled BREATHING EXERCISES FOR BREAST CANCER RECOVERY cover 6 breathing exercises for breast cancer recovery, stress management and cancer related fatigue. Each CD is 60 minutes in length with an introduction, explanation of benefits and six breathing exercises. This collection of therapeutic breathing exercises was created specifically for breast cancer recovery management.
4. The training will include two Practice classes followed with a time to address specific questions and answers.
About the Training
This very special breast cancer restorative yoga program is fresh and innovative. Its primary focus is to understand compassionately what goes on emotionally and physically with someone effected by breast cancer during their recovery. Our yoga instructors have the necessary training as well as the intuitive skills to safely adapt these specialized and unique yoga poses for breast cancer survivors. This population has special, varying needs and precautions according to the type of treatments received–-from lumpectomy, mastectomy and lymph node dissection to radiation, chemotherapy, and the varied breast reconstructions.
This training examines the complex collection of physical, mental, and emotional challenges that any survivor faces. Part medical discourse, and even part spiritual inquiry, you will learn what to ask and what to know to proceed safely.
Everyone will receive numerous resource materials, most especially A Comprehensive Handbook for Yoga Teachers for Breast Cancer. This specific manual offers invaluable, practical information for instructors, students and caregivers.
Unique restorative yoga flows offer amazing and effective teaching options, as developed by Diana Ross and her years as a Kali Ray TriYoga teacher. Angela Strynkowski, E-RYT500 will lead all therapeutic movement and recovery yoga classes. This teaching experience in the Practicum provides a strong infrastructure for supporting confidence, knowledge, and skills.
Certificate of Completion • 35 Yoga Alliance CECS: Contact/Practicum
Registered in National Breast Cancer Yoga Registry
Fee: including all instruction manuals and supplies
DATES: December 2-4, 2016
FRIDAY: 7:00pm – 9:00pm
SATURDAY: 12:00 noon – 6:00pm
SUNDAY: 12:00 noon – 5:00pm
INSTRUCTOR: Angela Strynkowski
LOCATION: A Jewel In The Lotus Yoga Studio, 560 Main St, Islip, NY 11751
PHONE: (631) 316-9871
Location of Teacher Training:
A Jewel in the Lotus
560 Main St, Islip, New York
Additional Copies of Resource Materials are available at the following costs:
$17.99 Breathing CD
$29.99 Recovery Book
$54.00 Training Manual
Registration: Contact Angela Strynkowski at firstname.lastname@example.org or Dawn Bradford at email@example.com
Off-site: For additional trainings at your studio or facility, fee is negotiable.