Palm Tree Yoga Pose is a great standing pose for breast cancer recovery and lymphedema management. This pose helps with stiffness or tightness in the chest area or the armpit (axilla) area that comes after either surgery, radiation therapy and lymphedema flare ups. Depending on the symptoms, your physician will select the best treatment for your condition. There is the possibility that lymphedema can be prevented, controlled or at least managed. For more yoga poses Breast Cancer Yoga offers “Restorative Yoga For Breast Cancer Recovery“.
Palm Tree Benefits
- Lengthens side body/obliques
- Relaxes stiffness of shoulders
- Opens chest and stretches breast tissue and drains lymph system
- Improves circulation to abdominals/pelvis
- Improves general digestion
- Massages internal organs
- Begin standing with left side facing the wall, feet hip distant apart.
- INHALE, extend arms out to “T” with finger tips touching the wall.
- EXHALE, draw hips away from wall while extending right arm overhead towards the wall and flatten palm on wall at the same time the hips (make sure the head does not collapse – turn head to face upper arm).
- INHALE, return arms to “T”.
- EXHALE, continue flowing back and forth for 5 times.
- EXHALE, sustain PALM TREE at the Wall for 3/5 breaths.
- INHALE, half turn to the other side with right side facing the wall.
- INHALE, arms to “T” with finger tips touching wall.
- EXHALE, draw hips away from wall while extending left arm overhead towards the wall. Don’t let the head collapse down creating an unnatural drop.
- INHALE, come back to center arms in “T”.
- Continue flowing back and forth, then sustain PALM TREE .
- INHALE, come back to “T”.
- EXHALE, lower arms and shake out.
To experience the benefits of yoga for breast cancer, it is essential that you begin with simple, gentle yoga movements. You should also consult a doctor before you begin practicing yoga. It is also necessary that you follow a yogic diet that consists of a mainly vegetarian diet to enhance the benefits of yoga.
- Leap Frog Pose (Flow) For Breast Cancer (breastcanceryogablog.com)
- Root Lock KRIYA Breathing Yoga Pose for Breast Cancer (breastcanceryogablog.com)
- Side Child & Side Child Twist Yoga Pose For Breast Cancer (breastcanceryogablog.com)
Try Breast Cancer Yoga’s extra gentle yoga DVD for breast cancer recovery and lymphedema management.
About Dawn Bradford Lange: Co-founder of Breast Cancer Yoga. Dawn is making a difference with Breast Cancer Yoga therapeutic products designed to support you emotionally and physically during breast cancer . We want to give you the attention and personal service you need so please email us at email@example.com if you have questions.