Modern research has confirmed the healing power within medicinal mushrooms is so extraordinary, it truly is magical. Taking a supplemental mushroom formula is an important aspect to maintaining good health. Whether you are currently in cancer treatment, or are simply interested in prevention, medicinal mushrooms can offer tremendous benefits.
Are you ready to start working with medicinal mushrooms in your home? Making a double extraction is actually very similar to making a tincture with plant material. The process is simple, and this easy step-by-step guide from Mountain Rose Herbs will help you create a mushroom double extraction of your own.
Double Extraction Method for Medicinal Mushrooms
- 80 proof or higher alcohol (I use vodka)
- organic dried mushrooms such as Reishi, Maitake, Chaga, or Shiitake
- spring water
- Make an alcohol extract by filling a mason jar halfway full of dried mushrooms. Fill jar with the alcohol, making sure that it completely covers the mushrooms, but leave about a ½ inch of space at the top of the jar. Let it sit for a month. Shake daily.
- After a month, strain mushroom-infused alcohol into another mason jar and set aside.
- Next, make a water extract by bringing a half gallon of water to a simmer in a stock pot. Add the mushrooms from the alcohol extract to the simmering water.
- Simmer the mushrooms for about 2 hours, until the water has reduced to approximately 8-16 ounces. Make sure to keep an eye on the water level, as you don’t want it to completely evaporate. You may need to add water to the stock pot throughout the process.
- Let it cool. Strain and compost the mushrooms, reserving the mushroom-infused water.
- Combine the water extract with the alcohol extract.
- The final product is your mushroom double extract! The alcohol percentage should be somewhere between 25-35%, making it shelf-stable.
More Mushroom Recipes:
Red Reishi and Turkey Tail mushroom extracts (Featured Image)
DISCLAIMER: Please consult your physician before using any medicinal mushroom products for health purposes.