This recipe includes cancer fighting, immune boosting mushrooms, specifically Maitake and Shiitake mushrooms. It is easy to include nutritious and delicious mushrooms into your diet so you can benefit from their extraordinary properties. Whether you are fighting cancer, trying to prevent cancer or simply looking for delicious ways to stay healthy, you will enjoy this soup recipe. Always use organic ingredients when possible.
- 4 ounces maitake (hen of the woods) mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in 1 cup hot water
- 1/2 pound assorted fresh mushrooms, (White Button, Creminis, Portabello) mixed with at least 6 ounces shiitakes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (oil substitutions HERE)
- 2 large shallots, chopped
- 1 small leek, chopped
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 medium Red Creamer potato, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock (Salt Free HERE)
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- Pink Himalayan Salt (optional)
- Drain the shiitake mushrooms and reserve the liquid. Chop all the mushrooms. Heat oil over medium flame in a soup pot.
- Add mushrooms to pot along with shallot, leek, onion, celery, carrot, and potato. Increase heat to medium high, and cook vegetables, stirring often, until they begin to soften, about ten minutes.
- Add soaking liquid from mushrooms, stock, tamari, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add thyme and rosemary, and puree with vertical hand blender until smooth.
- Season to taste and simmer an additional 5 minutes.
- Serves 4-6
A healthy diet is only one of several factors that can affect the immune system; exercise and stress management are just as important in improving your overall health and well being.
Recipe adapted from Whole Foods and featured photo from Huffington Post.