To those of you who loves the taste (and smell!) of a coconut, together with those who loves kale, especially in its ‘soft’ version – this is the soup for you!
This soup is rich in protein, vitamins and minerals (thanks to the lentils and the kale – 2 of my favorite super foods).
What you need:
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 diced onion
- 3 diced celery stalks
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 & 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp smoked sweet paprika
- 5 diced ripe tomatoes
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup red lentils (rinsed and drained)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 handfuls torn kale leavesWhat to do:
* Sauté the onion and garlic in the oil In a large pot for about 5-6 minutes over medium heat. Add the celery and sauté for couple more minutes.
* Add the spices and the bay leaves.
* Add the tomatoes, broth, and lentils. Stir well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and then simmer, uncovered, for about 20-25 minutes, until lentils are soft and ready.
* Add the kale.
When ready, remove the bay leaves from the dish.
About Neeva Kedem: Couple of years ago my life took a nice turn when I became vegan. It happened after my 40th birthday; I kind of realized that my health and energy are not as they used to be, and that change is needed. After reading lots of researches and studies, I understood that eating healthier food that is based on plants and natural ingredients will be the best for me, and so I did. It didn’t happen overnight; first, I gave up red meat. Then chicken, which was very hard for me. And only about a year later – cheese and eggs. Today I can say that being vegan improved my health and energy levels, and that I love being vegan!