By: Breast Cancer Yoga Staff.
Try this plant based soup recipe that is so easy, so tasty and so healthy. Give the soup a little drizzle of garlic infused olive oil before serving. Also, this soup can be enjoyed both hot and cold.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- ½ white sweet potato or 1 red potato, chopped into ½” pieces
- 2 cups artichoke hearts**
- 32 ounces vegetable broth
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 cups tightly packed kale leaves, deveined
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Pinch nutmeg
- Himalayan Pink Salt to taste
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a pot or Dutch oven. Sauté onion until it begins to turn translucent, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato and continue cooking until sweet potato is soft, stirring frequently.
- Add the artichoke hearts, chicken broth, cayenne, nutmeg and salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add the kale leaves and cover the pot until kale leaves have wilted, about 1 minute.
- Pour the soup into a blender with the almond milk and blend until smooth. This will likely need to be done in batches.
- Strain the soup into the same pot you used for cooking in order to catch the strands of artichoke hearts.
- If serving the soup hot, pour it back into a pot and heat gently, stirring frequently until the soup is to desired temperature. If serving chilled, pour the soup into a sealable container and refrigerate until cold.
- Serve with crusty bread and a drizzle of oil on top.
*You can also use regular olive oil plus 4 cloves of garlic. Saute the garlic with the onion **Artichoke hearts are available fresh in many delis and they are typically marinated in oil and garlic.. You can also use canned or frozen artichoke hearts.
Recipe adapted from The Roasted Root, Photo Source: Ricki Heller.
About Dawn Bradford Lange: Co-founder of Breast Cancer Yoga. Dawn is making a difference with Breast Cancer Yoga therapeutic products designed to support you emotionally and physically during breast cancer . We want to give you the attention and personal service you need so please email us at email@example.com if you have questions.