By: Breast Cancer Yoga Staff.
Dairy free pesto sauce is made with a few simple ingredients: olive oil, basil, and garlic. The ingredient basil in pesto sauce can lower your risk of breast cancer. Basil offers flavonoid phytochemicals called orientin and vicenin. These phytochemical nutrients act like antioxidants and neutralize damaging free radicals that destroy normally healthy cells. Free radicals increase your risk of cancer. So, pack extra basil into your pesto sauce to ensure that you consume high amounts of these beneficial antioxidants.
Modifications to the traditional recipe to make it lighter is to use a ratio of about three parts of low-sodium vegetable broth to one part of olive oil. Always use organic ingredients when possible.
- 1 bag potato gnocchi (homemade recipe)
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, washed and dried
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ cup pine nuts
- ½ cup olive oil
- Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
Directions For Gnocchi
- Add 6 cups water to a large Stockpot, bring to a boil and add 1 TBSP sea salt and the gnocchi.
- The gnocchi is done cooking when it floats to the top (about 4 minutes).
- Strain the Gnocchi but be gentle, careful not to break the gnocchi up into pieces.
Directions For Pesto
- Make the pesto by combining basil, garlic, pine nuts, and olive oil in a food processor.
- Pulse until the pesto is blended into a slightly coarse paste. (can be done while gnocchi is cooking).
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in any additional vegetable you may like such as cherry tomatoes cut in half and/or broccoli florets.
- Toss the cooked gnocchi directly with the pesto and serve.
A healthy diet is only one of several factors that can affect the immune system; exercise and stress management are just as important in improving your overall health and well being.
About Dawn Bradford Lange: Co-founder of Breast Cancer Yoga. Dawn is making a difference with Breast Cancer Yoga therapeutic products designed to support you emotionally and physically during breast cancer . We want to give you the attention and personal service you need so please email us at email@example.com if you have questions.