By: Breast Cancer Yoga Staff.
There’s considerable research on the Astragalus herb’s ability to support the body’s immune system, particularly in cancer patients. Studies have shown that cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy or radiation therapy recover faster, have prolonged life expectancy and are better able to withstand the side effects of modern cancer treatments when given Astragalus.
This savory vegetable soup is a traditional way of incorporating Astragalus, garlic and medicinal mushrooms into your diet.
• 1 ounce dried Astragalus root slices
• 1⁄2-inch piece fresh ginger root, slivered
• 1⁄4 cup brown basmati rice
• 8 cups salt free organic vegetable broth
• 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
• 1 cup winter squash, chopped
• 1 cup shiitake or maitake mushrooms, sliced
• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (optional)
• 1 cup corn, fresh or frozen
• 2 tablespoons light miso, or to taste
• 8 medium cloves garlic, minced
• 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, minced
1. Simmer astragalus, ginger, rice and stock in a heavy covered pot for 1 hour.
2. Sauté onion, squash and mushrooms in olive oil for 5 minutes, or until vegetables soften (oil free recipe use 1/4 vegetable broth instead).
3. Add sautéed vegetable mixture to the soup pot, cover and simmer 30 minutes. Add corn; simmer an additional 10 minutes. Remove astragalus.
4. Dilute miso in a small amount of hot broth and add to soup. Thin soup with additional broth if desired and add more miso to taste.
5. Add garlic and parsley, let stand for 5 minutes and serve.
Astragalus Cautions: This herb does interact with a number of other herbs and prescription medications, including antihypertensives and immune suppressants. People who have had transplant surgery should not take astragalus due to its immune-boosting effects. Astragalus may also interfere with blood clotting and should not be taken if on blood-thinning medications. People with autoimmune diseases (e.g. rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, Crohn’s disease, multiple sclerosis, psoriasis and type 1 diabetes) should consult a doctor before using this medicinal herb.
Recipe Modified From: Your Whole Body Health Solutions for Daily Challenges
About Dawn Bradford Lange: Co-founder of Breast Cancer Yoga. Dawn is making a difference with Breast Cancer Yoga therapeutic products designed to support you emotionally and physically during breast cancer . We want to give you the attention and personal service you need so please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.