Author: Diana Ross, E-RYT 500, Posted By: Breast Cancer Yoga Staff.
Easy Twist yoga pose will teach you how to relax your shoulders, lengthen the side body, reduce resistance by deepening the twist and open the hip flexors. Twists are valuable for supporting breast cancer recovery and for the repairing of breast tissue. Lateral movements that are inherent with twists encourage the lymph fluid away from the tissues toward lymph nodes which then circulate the fluid to functioning lymph vessels. If the lymph system cannot effectively drain, lymphedema may result.
- Gentle wringing out of organs
- Lifts and opens chest and ribs
- Gently stretches pectoral tissues
- Separates ribs to allow for deeper breathing by spreading intercostals
- Strengthens oblique abdominal muscles
- Massages internal organs
- Soft quad stretch
- INHALE, bring both legs to the left
with knees bent and right foot/ankle
resting inside the arch of the left foot.
- EXHALE, turning to the left as far as possible bringing the left arm back and the right hand forward in front of left knee – stay for 5 full breaths
- Keep your shoulders soft and down.
- Breath into your lower ribs.
- Allow the collar bone to be wide.
- Relax left hip down so the twist can deepen.
- INHALE, return to center.
- Repeat on other side.
- EXHALE twist, INHALE, return to center.
Practicing flowing restorative yoga movements, along with even pacing of the breath will restore strength and increase both energy and flexibility. Twisting Yoga Poses is intended to awaken positive emotions, build self-confidence and diminish depression. As we continue to practice this flowing yoga, we become open to a higher realization of everything and everyone around us. Our world expands and there is a greater acceptance of “what is.”
To experience the benefits of yoga for breast cancer, it is essential that you begin with simple, gentle yoga movements. You should also consult a doctor before you begin practicing yoga. It is also necessary that you follow a yogic diet that consists of a mainly vegetarian diet to enhance the benefits of yoga.
About Diana Ross: E-RYT 500 restorative yoga teacher, survivor that cares and founder of Breast Cancer Yoga. Diana is making a difference with Breast Cancer Yoga therapeutic products designed to support you emotionally and physically during breast cancer . We want to give you the attention and personal service you need so please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.