By: Diana Ross, E-RYT 500 Co-Founder of Breast Cancer Yoga.
Alternating Arm Across Chest Twist and Flow Yoga Pose for breast cancer recovery is such a fun and fluid, moving twist. The flowing yoga pose can create a keen sense of calmness while increasing circulation to the entire pectoral region and the arms.
- Promotes lymphatic drainage
- Increases circulation of overall blood flow, especially to pectoral region
- Increases range of motion in shoulders
- Lengthens hip flexors
- Massages internal organs
- Stretches the tensor fascia lata muscle (muscle of the thigh), waist and spine
- Stretches inner groin and opens hips
- Induces sense of calmness
- Begin on back, with knees bent and feet/legs in BUTTERFLY POSE.
- INHALE, arms out in T position, place small pillow or folded blanket under head (this allows for shoulders to relax down).
- EXHALE, right arm over to left arm (hand on top of hand) then slowly bring right knee over to left knee.
- INHALE, right arm returns to T and right knee back to BUTTERFLY.
- EXHALE, left arm over to right arm then slowly bring left knee over to right knee.
- INHALE, left arm back to T position and left knee back to BUTTERFLY.
- Continue to flow back and forth alternating sides. Make sure that there is a delay with the legs so that the twist is deliberate and meaningful.
- When ready EXHALE over to right side, then INHALE just the left arm back to T position and maintain the twist for 5 breaths.
- INHALE, return to BUTTERFLY and repeat on other side.
Practicing flowing restorative yoga movements, along with evenly pacing the breath will restore strength and increase both energy and flexibility. Breast Cancer Yoga is intended to awaken positive emotions, build self-confidence and diminish depression. As we continue to practice this flowing yoga, we become open to a higher realization of everything and everyone around us. Our world expands and there is a greater acceptance of “what is.”
To experience the benefits of yoga for breast cancer, it is essential that you begin with simple, gentle yoga movements. You should also consult a doctor before you begin practicing yoga. It is also necessary that you follow a yogic diet that consists of a mainly vegetarian diet to enhance the benefits of yoga.
About Diana Ross: E-RYT 500 restorative yoga teacher, survivor that cares and founder of Breast Cancer Yoga. Diana is making a difference with Breast Cancer Yoga therapeutic products designed to support you emotionally and physically during breast cancer . We want to give you the attention and personal service you need so please email us at email@example.com if you have questions.