By: Breast Cancer Yoga Staff.
One of the best-known benefits of the tomato is the lycopene found in it. Lycopene is an antioxidant that helps fight free radicals. A recent study reported that a tomato-rich diet helped protect at-risk women from breast cancer. The advantages of eating plenty of tomatoes and tomato-based products, even for a short period, were clearly evident in the studies findings.
Homemade canned tomatoes are a good option for receiving the breast cancer fighting tomato benefits since BPA (found in the linings of metal food cans) has been linked to breast cancer, possibly negating all the good effects of the tomatoes. Buying or canning tomato products in glass containers or buying metal cans that say “BPA free” are all good options.
canning seals and rings
large pot or blancher
towels and dish cloths
canning salt (optional)
Start by preparing your jars, and getting water in your canner heating.
- Depending on the size of the tomato, blanch 4 to 6 at a time.
- Wash tomatoes and dip in boiling water for 30-60 seconds or until you see the skins split. Start counting as soon as your tomatoes hit the water. Don’t wait for the water to come back to a boil to start your count time.
- When you remove the tomatoes, drop immediately into sink or bowl of cold water to stop the cooking. 3-Slip off skins and quarter tomatoes. The skins should just slide off in your hands.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt per quart to the jars, if desired.
- As you skin the tomatoes slice them in halves or quarters as you prefer.
- Place them directly into your jars. Your jars should be warm when you are working with your tomatoes. You can also run a dishwasher rinse cycle with the jars and then leave them in the steamy dishwasher until you are ready to fill each one.
- Press down on the tomatoes in the jar until spaces between them fill with juice. This will crush them slightly. Leave 1/2-inch head space.
- Repeat steps until all tomatoes are skinned and chopped. You may need to let your water come back to heat in between batches in the blancher.
- Remove air bubbles with a small utensil.
- Be sure and wipe the rims of your jars clean before placing your lids on. If there are bits of food it may interfere with the seal.
- Place lids on the jars and process according to Water bath or Pressure Canning instructions.
Processing for a Pressure Canner:
- Process both pints or quarts – process for 25 minutes .
Processing for a Water-Bath Canner:
- Be sure to add lemon juice to each jar.
- Process both pints or quarts 85 minutes.
It’s easy to make changes to your diet that will create resiliency in the body to prevent and reduce diseases. Studies have shown that a diet which includes animal products or little fiber can contribute to breast cancer, while a vegan diet – free of meat, eggs and dairy – can help prevent and even reverse it. Increased intake of fruits and vegetables can lower the risk of cancer. A healthy diet consists of more fruits, legumes and vegetables.
.About Diana Ross: E-RYT 500 restorative yoga teacher, survivor that cares and founder of Breast Cancer Yoga. Diana is making a difference with Breast Cancer Yoga therapeutic products designed to support you emotionally and physically during breast cancer . We want to give you the attention and personal service you need so please email us at email@example.com if you have questions.