Yoga and Lymphedema Management:
Practicing continuous flowing movements significantly improves the lymphatic system. When lymph fluid is disrupted because of breast cancer surgery, trauma or infection, excessive lymph fluid builds up. This stagnant fluid can play havoc on the tissues and create swelling. There also can be a reduction of the oxygen absorption in the lymphatic system which increases the chance for infection. Practicing a flowing yoga pumps the lymphatic fluid throughout the body’s channels, rather than allowing it to accumulate or back up. It is great for maintaining healthy breast tissue. To keep this fluid moving, we need to also foster relaxation. It will facilitate renewed or restored strength and flexibility.
Shining Warrior Pose (Flow) For Breast Cancer Related Lymphedema Management:
Shining Warrior Pose increases circulation to arms, shoulders and breast region by opening the ribcage and expanding the chest. These arm movements and conscious breathing activate lymphatic system.
- Opens and expands pectoral muscles
- Reduces postsurgical fibrous adhesions and scar tissue
- Promotes axillary lymphatic fluid drainage which decreases blockages of lymph nodes
- Softens stiff shoulders and/or frozen shoulders,
- Aids flexibility of the rib cage and thoracic spine
- Frees the breath and opens the chest
- Improves leg strength and flexibility of quadriceps and calf muscles
- Encourages balance while strengthening ankles
- Calms the body by harmonizing the breath to the movement
- Increases ROM (range of motion) for arms and shoulders
- Begin standing. Bring right foot forward, 1 to 3 feet apart, toes and hips facing forward with back foot slightly turned out ( for balance). INHALE , bring hands in front of chest. Come into PRAYER MUDRA with shoulders relaxed.
- EXHALE, lift rib cage and lift chest up bringing arms out to side with elbows softly bent ( shoulders remain relaxed). Bend the front knee over the ankle (your front knee should be aligned above the ankle).
- INHALE, arms return and hands come back into PRAYER while the front leg straightens.
- Continue 5/10 more rounds and then repeat on left side.
- INHALE, bring hands in front into PRAYER MUDRA (palms together.)
- EXHALE, arms flow out while bending left knee.
- Continue 5/10 more rounds.
.About Diana Ross: E-RYT 500 restorative yoga teacher, survivor that cares and founder of Breast Cancer Yoga. Diana is making a difference with Breast Cancer Yoga therapeutic products designed to support you emotionally and physically during breast cancer . We want to give you the attention and personal service you need so please email us at email@example.com if you have questions.