We suggest enjoying a bowl of Broccoli Chowder as part of a cancer free lifestyle because broccoli is rich in cancer-fighting vitamins, such as B vitamins, folate, riboflavin, potassium, iron, and vitamin C. It is also rich in phytonutrients such as sulforaphane, which inhibits the damaging effects of cancer-causing substances, and dithiolthione, which is believed to activate cancer-fighting enzymes in the body. Broccoli may help convert estrogen to a less potent form, perhaps helping to prevent hormone-related cancers such as breast cancer. So try this satisfying remake of broccoli chowder with all the health benefits from our vegetable rich recipe we know you will enjoy. Always use organic ingredients when possible.
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 large carrot, diced (1/2 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, diced (1/2 cup)
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon 100% whole grain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 pound broccoli crowns
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots and celery. Cook, stirring often, until onions and celery soften, 5-6 minutes. Add potatoes and garlic. Cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Stir in flour, dry mustard and cayenne. Cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Cut broccoli into 1-inch pieces, stems and florets separated. Add broth and broccoli stems. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium. Simmer, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes. Stir in florets, simmer, covered until broccoli is tender, about 10 minutes or more.
- Transfer 2 cups of the chowder to a bowl and mash; return to the pan. Stir in Cheddar and sour cream; cook over medium heat, stirring until the cheese is melted and the chowder is heated through. Season with salt.
Yield: About 6 (serving size 1 cup)
Source: Eating Well, The Magazine of Food and Health
About Dawn Bradford Lange: Co-founder of Breast Cancer Yoga. Dawn is making a difference with Breast Cancer Yoga therapeutic products designed to support you emotionally and physically during breast cancer . We want to give you the attention and personal service you need so please email us at email@example.com if you have questions.