By Breast Cancer Yoga Staff.
Starter Yoga Props
Yoga props aid in several therapeutic functions which includes emotional support. They offer a nurturing emotional support to the entire body and/or areas that need to be specifically nurtured, and are in need of rest. Often, the poses most beneficial for a particular condition may not be attainable due to physical limitations. However, these poses can become possible with props, while still allowing for any limitations or lack of strength. Consequently, without the use of props the speed of recovery would not be as apparent. In a therapeutic setting, the sequence of the poses and the amount of time each pose is held is as important as the pose itself. The supportive nature of props enable a person to remain longer in the pose comfortably, than without their support.
Props are there to help us get the very most out of each pose. Here is a list of our top 5 props that we use in a restorative yoga practice and that every beginning yoga student should know about.
Starter Yoga Prop Kit
- Yoga Mat creates a sacred space for you to begin your practice.
- 4 inch Foam Blocks (2 each) can provide the support and the height needed to do a safe and correctly-aligned pose. If you cannot bend over and touch the ground, then bring the ground up to you.
- Round Cylinder Bolster for use under back and shoulders for a great heart-opening stretch, and under knees to relieve any lower back strain.
- Yoga Blanket for additional padding, you can also fold them up and use them as support during a pose.
- Yoga Strap used to hold your hands and/or feet in case you can’t reach them. They also help to hold your limbs in place while you’re in your pose.