By Diana Ross, E-RYT 500 Co-Founder Breast Cancer Yoga.
This is my son, Jared (who has open hips) demonstrating this unique pose; just like a relaxed Butterfly pose. Diamond Pose is a great pose to release tension everywhere but for the most part tightness and tension in the inner thighs and hips. When you come forward and rest your head on a prop (or not) you can begin to connect deeply with your breath. Don’t forget to soften your facial muscles and jaw hinge. Breathe, breathe, breathe.
- Allows spine to lengthen
- Works on releasing sciatica nerve
- Improves general circulation of legs, arms and spine
- Stretches the inner thighs, groins, and knees
- May help relieve mild depression, and anxiety
- Great pose until late into pregnancy – help ease childbirth
- Calms the brain and helps relieve stress and fatigue
- Relieves back and neck pain when done with head and torso supported
- Soothes menstrual discomfort
- Helps relieve the symptoms of menopause
Caution: Groin or knee injury: Only perform this pose with blanket support under the outer thighs.
- Begin in a supported seat, feet need to touch in front and knees relax out to side. If knees are higher than hips use props to support the knees so that there is no over stretching. Props can be used to support knees. By raising the seat and supporting thighs and knees against gravity, it will give you a solid foundation for the spine.
- Make sure your seat is comfortable so there isn’t any strain on hips, thighs, knees or ankles.
- INHALE lift and lengthen the spine and come forward. Rest arms on blocks, blanket or the earth.
- EXHALE extend or place forehead on a prop.
- Stay in the pose for 10 full breaths.
- When finished help lift knees and extend legs, do ANKLE ROTATIONS.
To experience the benefits of yoga for breast cancer, it is essential that you begin with simple, gentle yoga movements. You should also consult a doctor before you begin practicing yoga. It is also necessary that you follow a yogic diet that consists of a mainly vegetarian diet to enhance the benefits of yoga.
About Diana Ross: E-RYT 500 restorative yoga teacher, survivor that cares and founder of Breast Cancer Yoga. Diana is making a difference with Breast Cancer Yoga therapeutic products designed to support you emotionally and physically during breast cancer . We want to give you the attention and personal service you need so please email us at email@example.com if you have questions.