Now doesn’t this look like a great pose to release tension in your hips? Oh yeah! Reclined Butterfly is a yoga pose that I recommend to all my students to do either before getting out of bed, and when going to bed. You can tuck your comforter under your knees or prop your feet up for comfort. Once comfortable bring your arms overhead, close your eyes and connect to your breath. It should be wide open and free. The external rotation for the hips is healthy and extension in the arms and shoulders are too. Photo taken at A Jewel in the Lotus, Islip, NY. http://www.ajewelinthelotus.com
- Big hip opener
- Promotes external rotation of hips and extension of shoulders and arms
- Stretches pectoral muscles
- Promotes deep abdominal breathing – Relaxes diaphragm
- Supports relaxation – Relieves anxiety and depression
- Lower stress hormone output
- Anti-stress benefits for lowered blood pressure & decreased heart rate
- Enhances well-being and rest
- Supports lower back and eases muscle spasms
- Using props create a sense of security and protection
2nd & 3rd trimester pregnancy
- Begin on your back. Place pillow under head especially if chin is lifted.
- Have a bolster or padded prop to support legs (knees) in Partial Recline (knees bent).
- EXHALE, lower knees out to side slowly onto the bolsters with feet touching.
- Lower lumbar spine should feel comfortable. If not comfortable raise your knees up higher until a release is felt.
- INHALE arms over head with palms facing up or hands touching.
- Bring awareness to the breath and release into the pose. Stay for 5 minutes.
To experience the benefits of yoga for breast cancer, it is essential that you begin with simple, gentle yoga movements. You should also consult a doctor before you begin practicing yoga. It is also necessary that you follow a yogic diet that consists of a mainly vegetarian diet to enhance the benefits of yoga.
About Diana Ross: E-RYT 500 restorative yoga teacher, survivor that cares and founder of Breast Cancer Yoga. Diana is making a difference with Breast Cancer Yoga therapeutic products designed to support you emotionally and physically during breast cancer . We want to give you the attention and personal service you need so please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.