By Diana Ross, E-RYT 500 and Co-Founder of Breast Cancer Yoga
- Big stretch for the quadriceps
- Focuses on the alignment of knees to keep them in shape
- Stretches and increases flexibility in front ankles
- Keeps the cartilage and tendons surrounding the knees limber
- Eases stiffness in hips and groins
- Opens the heart center and frees the breath
- Relaxes shoulder blades onto the back body
- Improves circulation in feet
- Encourages digestion, relieves flatulence and abdominal cramping
- knee, ankle or foot injuries
- sacroiliac pain
- Begin on padded surface in kneeling position. This supports the knees.
- Open knees and feet towards the outer edge of support or yoga mat.
- Place prop underneath at appropriate height for comfort. Then place hips down in between legs onto a large bolster or folded blanket. This will support the stretch in the ankles and knees (do not let the feet rotate in or out). The soles of the feet should face upward and the pinkie toe touch the ground.
- Manually stretch calf muscle back to heels to create space and open the knee joints.
- You may need to adjust the pose a few times to get comfortable to stay seated.
- It is important to take very long breaths in this pose and relax the shoulders and torso.
- When ready have many props or wall to support your backbend. This will intensive the quadricep stretch and open the heart center.
- When coming out of the pose come back to CAT POSE and stretch one leg back with toes tucked under. Then do the other leg stretch.
- Come forward to a Staff Pose, close your eyes and remain still.
To experience the benefits of yoga for breast cancer, it is essential that you begin with simple, gentle yoga movements. You should also consult a doctor before you begin practicing yoga. It is also necessary that you follow a yogic diet that consists of a mainly vegetarian diet to enhance the benefits of yoga.
About Diana Ross: E-RYT 500 restorative yoga teacher, survivor that cares and founder of Breast Cancer Yoga. Diana is making a difference with Breast Cancer Yoga therapeutic products designed to support you emotionally and physically during breast cancer . We want to give you the attention and personal service you need so please email us at email@example.com if you have questions.