By Diana Ross, Registered Yoga Therapist
Physical Benefits of Reclined Yoga Poses
This specific, reclined, supported, yoga pose combined with deep breaths is intended to support recovery from breast cancer and assist in managing lymphedema. This yoga pose is a mild inversion that calms the nervous system and quiets the mind. Excellent chest opener which will free the breath.
- Strengthens buttocks, quads and hamstrings
- Post surgical benefits of reducing fibrous adhesions and scar tissue
- Opens chest and ribs, massages spine, frees the breath Opens front of body and pelvis
- Raises hips above heart to reduce heart rate Alleviates stress and mild depression
- Helps relieve symptoms of menopause
- Therapeutic for asthma, high blood pressure, and sinusitis.
- Begin on your back. Make sure head is in a natural alignment.
- Your back can rest on folded blanket so that your back body/kidneys feel soft and supported.
- Knees remain bent with ankles underneath. Place a block in between feet to help with alignment of knees and ankles.
- Arms relax along side body, palms facing up.
- Notice your breath and focus completely on relaxing your body starting with the crown of your head to the tips of your toes.
- Stay in this pose as long as comfortable. If uncomfortable start with a smaller bolster or blankets.
- You have the option of arms extended over.
- Stay for 10 full breaths/or more.
- When finished roll on to side off of the bolster(bolsters).
Note: If the bridge is too high adjust to lower bolster or folded blankets.
To experience the benefits of yoga for breast cancer, it is essential that you begin with simple, gentle yoga movements. You should also consult a doctor before you begin practicing yoga. It is also necessary that you follow a yogic diet that consists of a mainly vegetarian diet to enhance the benefits of yoga.
About Diana Ross: E-RYT 500 restorative yoga teacher, survivor that cares and founder of Breast Cancer Yoga. Diana is making a difference with Breast Cancer Yoga therapeutic products designed to support you emotionally and physically during breast cancer . We want to give you the attention and personal service you need so please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
- Leap Frog Pose (Flow) For Breast Cancer (breastcanceryogablog.com)
- Root Lock KRIYA Breathing Yoga Pose for Breast Cancer (breastcanceryogablog.com)
- Side Child & Side Child Twist Yoga Pose For Breast Cancer (breastcanceryogablog.com)