By: Diana Ross, E-RYT 500 Founder of Breast Cancer Yoga
Beans are a cancer fighting super food. Studies have shown a diet rich in beans increased levels of the fatty acid butyrate, which in high concentrations has protective effects against cancer growth. Beans contain other health-promoting substances such as antioxidants that may also protect against cancer.
Got this great little gift from my girlfriend, Rochelle with a pre-made ingredients for Five Bean Soup in a small mason jar. Look a bit boring without saute’ veggies so I thought I would embellish a bit and see what I could create. Well as it turns out it was a big hit with my entire family; even the son that doesn’t eat things that are good for him. Let me make one important note – It is incredibly easy to make, and fast.
1/2 cup dried pinto beans
1/2 cup dried split green peas (or green lentils)
1/2 cup dried great northern beans
1/2 cup dried black beans
1/2 cup dried kidney beans
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 medium onion chopped
6 shiitake mushrooms diced
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped celery
2 teaspoons pink salt
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
2 bay leaves
2 vegetable bouillon cubes
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- Rinse beans and place in 4 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Drain and return beans to the pot and add 6 cups of filtered water, 2 bouillon cubes and bay leafs.
- Saute’ mushrooms, onions, celery and carrots in vegetable oil until tender. Add to the soup stock when done.
- Bring to boil, cover and simmer for 1 hour or until beans are tender.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
About Diana Ross: E-RYT 500 restorative yoga teacher, survivor that cares and founder of Breast Cancer Yoga. Diana is making a difference with Breast Cancer Yoga therapeutic products designed to support you emotionally and physically during breast cancer . We want to give you the attention and personal service you need so please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.